View Single Post
Old September 12, 2015   #144
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Ginny,
Ya, I'd love to have a few seeds. I'll see if I can get it to produce anything before it gets too cold here and I will save most of the seeds for the spring and give it a better try. That is one impressive looking tomato plant. I don't think I ever so a tomato vine with so many tomatoes on it. I am almost finished getting my tomato transplants into the compost. Should finish tomorrow.
Thanks so much.
Larry
Ok i will send some to you. A few things to know about it....

Since it is seed from a comercially bred tomato, it has a long wait from the time the tomatoes get to full green size until they blush. Long hang time i guess it's called. They dont mature in 55-60 days like a lot of tomatoes that size. I did not specifically record the dates but i would say it was more like 80 days. I can check based on my picture history (i took pics at every stage and have dates of the files) and let you know.

Also my friend grew the same F2 plants in the ground and he doesn't fertilize, water, etc like I do and he got a lot of tomatoes but no where near what i got. So I do think environment had a little to do with it. I fertilized with tomato tone side dressed about once every two to three weeks and also supplemented with texas tomato food in the small water reservoir when the plant was monster size. Because this plant was in a walmart pot with about a 1 gallon reservoir, we watered it between 2-4 times a day at the end... lol. It even fell over twice in high winds and we just propped it back up, tied some branches up and it kept going. We are on the intracoastal waterway and some of those spring and summer storms bring some really strong gusts.

But my point is for the most part we babied it and gave it all the water and food it needed and pruned extra lower leaves to encourage it to keep all those blossoms it was generating and turn them into tomatoes. It had long beautiful trusses with 12 or more tomatoes on them.

Also I read somewhere but dont know if its true that the generations after F2 might not be as vigorous as the F1 and F2.

Anyways, not trying to discourage you from growing it... just filling in some details... :-)

I loved this plant. Everyone that saw it in person was amazed by it.

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote