View Single Post
Old September 17, 2015   #196
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Bottom watering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
The rain took on a new meaning this AM. Finally just drizzling and lighter outside. Plants are now on the edge of the porch to get more light,

I meant to ask this earlier but got distracted:

What do you mean RE: " use a 18 inch skewer(treated,velcro wrapped seedlings when thick/old enough)"

and

I remember you must have posted a pic of your screened area with your plants - everything looked so neat. I'm impressed when tomato plants look really neat.
Anyway, when they are in their buckets with the saucers underneath, are you bottom watering them?

Thanks again for info,
In the plugs so as they do not intermingle and fall over each other I use the skewers to keep them staight up(I grow mainly cherrys).When I transfer the plugs(deep up to 3/4 of plant) I will stop medium 1 1/2 down from top and fill up to top of container lid with fresh well water,then monitor the saucer drainage amount/timing to see if plants are getting sufficient moisture.Crucial during the different growing cycles,and fertilization solutions and height/rootball requirements during life of plants.Trying to optimize water/ferts and watering labor.The velcro green wraps are for the tomato/skewer juncture.I like to cut the 1/2 wide velcro in half lenghwise,crosscut about 1 inch long and use two per plant in the plug stage/trays.Bed Bath Beyond have skewers that are 1/4 inch thick and a full 18inches long.The cheap store boughts seem to rot out,turn black with mold and fungas,I soak them in boiled Linseed oil to get at least 4-5 years out of them.

Last edited by kurt; September 17, 2015 at 12:53 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote