View Single Post
Old September 20, 2015   #1
kunosoura
Tomatovillian™

Default Dwarf varieties in 5 gal SWCs, South Florida

I always enjoy looking at everyone else's tomato pics, so I figured I would share some of mine.

I'm somewhat space limited, so I figured that trying out some dwarfs in 5 gallon SWCs could be fun. Fortunately the space I have for them is screened-in, so hopefully that will eliminate at least some disease vectors. I bought seeds of the following varieties:
  • Iditarod Red
  • Wherokowhai
  • Dwarf Emerald Giant
  • Tasmanian Chocolate
  • Dwarf Kelly Green
  • Extreme Bush
  • Perth Pride
  • Rosella Purple

Anyway, here we have some seedlings emerging. They were sown July 23. In this photo they are in ProMix BX and have also been treated with a cocktail of beneficial (hopefully!) biologicals.

1 IMG_1454.jpeg

Here is everybody potted up in the SWCs. Plants are 44 days old at this point. I reserved backups just in case!

3 IMG_1605.jpeg

For growing media I used 2/3 Promix BX, 1/3 peat moss. Added 1.5 cups Tomato Tone, 3/4 cup lime to each bucket.

The Dwarf Kelly Greens were interesting - two of the seedlings looked a lot "dwarfier" than the other two. I ended up planting one of the larger seedlings while some coworkers took the others. I'll see if I can find out how the smaller ones are doing.

4 IMG_1602.jpeg
5 IMG_1601.jpeg

More to come...
kunosoura is offline   Reply With Quote