View Single Post
Old September 22, 2015   #248
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Barb- good luck with the Seabright , they are so much better. We still had a few, put them out, zero trouble. I have been searching all over the yard for a couple days now, haven't seen the little bird, alive or dead. Maybe it is going to be OK......
Barb, Earthboxes don't work unless you fill the water reservoir. Just sayin....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Larry - Thanks for letting me know you got the seeds. If the GM produce well, I will send you more seeds; My pack contained 100. Had good reviews.

Marsha - I got the sticky traps today; So different than the horrible WebFly ones. I had told DH that I was getting them; he was less than thrilled - His comment was "If a lizard get stuck, don't come to me". So when I opened them, my thought was there is no way a lizard / bird would get stuck.

On the WebFly ones, it is blue on one side and yellow on the other. With a thin plastic on top. Hard to get the plastic off off in one piece; plus it is sticky top to bottom, no where to put your fingers without getting sticky.

I'm sure the WebFly could catch a rat/mouse. Inhumane product. DON'T EVER BUY.

Kurt - I checked out that plant the other day (Sunday), the roots were not soggy at all. I ended up transplanting it in a root pouch. It doesn't look better or worse.

FALL TOMATO woes: I'm slightly embarrassed to post this:

On Sunday, I also ended up transplanting my other 2 best/biggest plants into an earthbox (solarized for 4 months; new Pro-Mix on top). I took them out of the sun (shade cloth) around 2 PM and transplanted around 6 PM.

The plants (GGWT and PBTD) came out of their containers easily and I pretty much just set them in the EB. Basically no trauma to the plants and it was the best I ever did with the shower came. Very Neat (I put the Shower Cap on after the plants were planted) and the best X cuts I have ever made. No trauma getting it over the plants either.

I wanted to take a picture I was so proud. They looked fantastic. I watered from the top. I didn't add a Bamboo pole, or tomato cage so roots, etc were not disturbed.

I didn't fill the EB b/c I'm convinced that a lot of my problems in SWC was water was too wet. (I've eliminated PH - water and mix).

So the next morning, Monday, I went out around 7AM to move my plants in the sun and the 2 EB plants look EXACTLY like the Large Barred Boar (pic above). I couldn't believe it. What is going on?

So in all this time I've been growing tomatoes, I've never had a mature tomato plant wilt - ever. I didn't think the LBB was wilted b/c the branches feel sturdy, not flimsy.

But with the GGWT/PBTD looking exactly the same, other than wilt, what else could it be? Something caused them to go in shock. I've just been keeping all 3 on the porch.

On Monday, I filled the reservoir on the EB. I'm hoping all 3 will recover; leaves are green; stem is healthy.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote