View Single Post
Old September 28, 2015   #304
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Always grow in containers inside a screened in pool enclosure.All on concrete.I know at our local Fairchild Tropical Gardens they tout the beneficial s in their community garden classes.The local farmers here use Steam Soil Sterilization if they get a bad infestation.It is very expensive for large tracts of land.But for smaller parcels it makes "cents"They inject steam into soil with massive boiler/pump contraptions and it does kill nemos up to 3-4 foot down in soil.They re amend soil after testing to get the balance back.I watched them do it on a small plot for demonstration and every critter,rodent,insect came flying out of the soil,very impressive.
I'm curious where the market might be for this kind of soil treatment. As you say not for larger fields. Commercial growers would simply opt for a variety with lots of letters behind the name which includes nematode resistance. Possibly smaller growers growing heirlooms or maybe someone who needs to grow organically for that market. Hey, first just boil everything alive then grow organically!
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; September 28, 2015 at 02:14 PM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote