View Single Post
Old October 6, 2015   #1
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Default shade screen to great soil: possible?

I have been trying to learn more about soilbuilding in prep for a "new look" backyard.

The new look:
A 40 foot tall, 16 ft wide, 60 foot long row of multiple leader arbor vitae that borders the back yard of our in-town lot is finally being taken down. This row runs approx NE-SW and blocks much of our backyard sun until late morning in June. In winter, much of our backyard gets no sun to speak of. With the help of an 8hp kemp shredder/chipper and pole saw this shade line is being reduced a few at a time to be replaced with a fence.

The possible ingredients:
After a lot of labor and some gas, we will end up with a huge pile of wood chips from the larger branches, a huge pile of shredded branches and greens, and a large stack of logs. The shredder also rips cardboard to, ah, shreds. Though I need a dust mask for that job. There is an appliance store in town and I could probably get as much as I want from their dumpsters and shred it. Also, I have a lot of composting worms in the basement, 150 gallons worth of bins, that I could turn loose in the piles. To feed them, I get horse manure from a stables 20-25 minutes away. I could get as much of that as I'd care to - they have a front end loader and usually the pile is pretty big as long as they didn't pay someone to haul it off recently. I have a 5 gallon bucket of homemade fish emulsion that has not been opened in quite a while and should be ready. I'm actually a little afraid to open that. Lastly, this shredder will do a number on oak and maple leaves in the yard and I could even ask neighbors for more.

The plan:
I am considering using the trunks to build raised beds. Maybe two 4’x20’ beds in a 10’x20’ area. The actual lawnsoil turned over is probably okay with the additional sun, but I really like the idea of ~12" beds. Rabbits will be an issue with in-ground stuff. A trellis on the back side (away from sun) for pole beans would be awesome. It could probably be made just from woven limbs/sticks that I don't shred. Rain gutter drainage dumps water from 1/4 of the roof into this area as well and I’m trying to figure how to incorporate it.

I plan to get some pallets soon and make a row of compost bins. I can then layer shreddings/cardboard/manure/chips/leaves in the bins and turn them regularly. Maybe set some worms free in them. We are running toward winter but I think with horse manure I could keep them hot...maybe?

I've been reading about creating shallow beds without tilling the sod by adding 4 sheets wet newspaper, then compost, then mulch, then chips on top. I hope to be able to fill these beds in the spring with compost created this winter.

Opinions wanted:
Does this plan sound feasible? Would the compost be ready for primetime this spring, or is this more properly a second year goal? Will arbor vitae compost too slowly or would the chips/shredding be better utilized another way?

No matter what, by dropping these arbor vitae we will be much better off getting more sun in the yard, more airflow, and more sun to the existing vegetable patches. However, I would also like to turn this effort into a huge gain in vegetable production as soon as possible.

Thanks all for taking the time.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote