View Single Post
Old October 10, 2015   #41
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I'm confused about the difference between garlic seeds vs bulbils. The flowers on my garlic are beautiful and put out hard black seeds inside little pod thingys. I have never seen a bulbil. I am deducing from this that I have softneck garlic.

I just now went out and dug up some plants. I was disappointed because they were clumped together in a big mess...about a dozen stems coming out of a six inch wide clump, and when I dug them up there was no garlic bulb on the bottom...only roots like you have at the bottom of garlic bulbs. One did have a tiny, tiny bulb. I do have a mild garlic odor coming from them. The stems and leaves are still totally green which I find strange for mid-October. The lows at my place have not gone below 50F yet. Perhaps that's why the plants are still all green. I guess I need to space them out and pay more attention to them.
As a side note, I did try to grow carrots and sugar beets in the same location three years ago and they were tiny, too. The soil must be too hard or something.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote