View Single Post
Old October 21, 2015   #165
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Gerardo It is funny you brought this up.

Yesterday the day of your post I fried a homemade sausage patty and half fried some corn tortillas and two eggs sunny side up.
A tortilla the sausage patty another tortilla the eggs and salsa and another tortilla on top.

Anytime I say tortilla you can assume it is corn unless stated otherwise.
Personally myself I dont consider flour tortillas traditional Mexican cuisine.
I try to stay as pre-Columbian as I can but I do keep a bag of flour tortilla mix on hand.
It makes wonderful biscuits and dumplings.
From extensive research I have found that many of the people way back when rarely ate any meat.
It was reserved for royalty as it was in many other places.
Unlike some of the starving gruel eating people of Europe they had a well balanced diet.
Fruit chilies avocados maize squash potato tomato beans citrus fish lizards rabbits ducks turkey llama alpaca and so on.
Depending on where you were at.
Yesterday the only meat I ate was the sausage patty last night I had 3 small bowls of mayocoba beans and a can of coconut water.
The day before was just black eyed peas chilies and some salmon.

Worth
Half of my family is from Sonora, so I have a very special place in my Mexican heart for flour tortillas.

You need about 2 more decades of that pre-columbian diet in order to cancel out all those twinkies and ding-dongs from your youth.

Beans look awesome.

PS My mom makes 'em by hand, and I know how to make 'em too. My discussion seminar Flour Tortilla Production 101 will be forthcoming.

Last edited by Gerardo; October 21, 2015 at 12:55 PM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote