View Single Post
Old November 13, 2015   #15
drew51
Tomatovillian™

The jam I made today was from frozen berries. I have made around 35 jars this year.
Yes, they do sucker. I have about a 12x4 area they grow in. They are June bearing, so harvest is in June. Not sure how you should grow them inside? if you're ground is workable i would plant them outside. Cover with straw leaves, or pine needles once freezing temps are constant. The idea is not to keep them warm, but to prevent them from thawing in the day and freezing at night. Best to keep them frozen and covered. If by some chance they don't make it, I'll send you some in the spring, just remind me.
If I could not plant them, i would take them outside during the day, and keep them in an unheated garage or shed at night for a few weeks. Eventually you can leave in the unheated garage. Once dormant they do not need light. They need to be moist, do not keep wet, and do not let them dry out. You have to water about once a month in the winter, in a garage. I keep many plants like this that are in pots. Blueberries, currants, even cherry trees. Like most fruits they need a certain amount of chill hours to flower and fruit. if you keep them indoors, they may not fruit next year unless they received chill before they were sent.

The berries look firm as they are frozen. Pineberries are actually rather soft and must be consumed soon after harvest or frozen. Freeze them individually, once frozen you can put them in a gallon bag together and they will not stick together.

Here's my stash of frozen berries still left. Strawberries, raspberries, black raspberries, and blackberries.

Last edited by drew51; November 13, 2015 at 11:09 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote