View Single Post
Old December 15, 2015   #43
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFXEFU View Post
My advice may not build the soil, but it will grow tomatoes in his already good soil. To be more specific, I would use 2 lbs. 8-0-8 per 50 ft. row and 2 tablespoons of magnesium sulfate per planting hole. That's what I would do if it was my garden..... just saying.
You do understand the point though right? Organic methods can obtain nitrogen for plant growth from organic matter through a process called mineralization. SO while there are other ways to obtain nitrogen, what you described actually reduces soil biology, reducing mineralization, setting you on a path towards needing more and more ammonium nitrate over time. Since he has very high organic matter, additional ammonium nitrate is not needed as long as the soil health is good. Now if he had low organic matter in the soil test AND low nitrogen, then a bit of a boost would help. But in this case, long run, ammonium nitrate hurts more than helps, except possibly a bit of a mild boost just at transplant time, just so the plant can get some help before the symbiosis between soil biota and the seedling is established. Preferably not ammonium nitrate though, as that harms much of the soil biota.

From the USDA:
Quote:
"When farmers view soil health not as an abstract virtue, but as a real asset, it revolutionizes the way they farm and radically reduces their dependence on inputs to produce food and fiber." -USDA

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; December 15, 2015 at 09:33 AM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote