View Single Post
Old December 15, 2015   #45
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
You do understand the point though right? Organic methods can obtain nitrogen for plant growth from organic matter through a process called mineralization. SO while there are other ways to obtain nitrogen, what you described actually reduces soil biology, reducing mineralization, setting you on a path towards needing more and more ammonium nitrate over time. Since he has very high organic matter, additional ammonium nitrate is not needed as long as the soil health is good. Now if he had low organic matter in the soil test AND low nitrogen, then a bit of a boost would help. But in this case, long run, ammonium nitrate hurts more than helps, except possibly a bit of a mild boost just at transplant time, just so the plant can get some help before the symbiosis between soil biota and the seedling is established. Preferably not ammonium nitrate though, as that harms much of the soil biota.

From the USDA:
Thanks for the information, that's why I'm adding leaves to my garden over the winter to raise the organic content. Even with a high organic content and low nitrogen plants are not going to thrive. I'm new to soil building, so how long will it take for enough nitrogen to be added through mineralization to allow plants to thrive without commercial nitrogen?
UFXEFU is offline   Reply With Quote