View Single Post
Old December 17, 2015   #53
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbee View Post
If you are looking for a good mycorrhiza product i would suggest you check out the RTI line. They also make a product called Azos which is azosprillum ..a nitogen fixing bacteria. I personally use both products and love them.
That is one thing a conventional soil lab test can't determine, the impact of Nitrogen Fixing bacteria and bacteria in general since they are the primary sink of Nitrogen in a living soil. A conventional soil lab test can't determine the impact mycorrhizal fungi on nutrient uptake by the plant either.
A conventional soil test is a snapshot in time using harsh acids and bases to extract an measure nutrients, which is not what plants and other soil life experience day to day. Soil tests from different labs can even yield very different results on the same samples depending on the extraction methods used.
I wouldn't put all my faith into a lab test result, it may yield some clues if you are having plant growth issues but the gardener has to be the ultimate factor by watching and getting to know what the plant is telling you. Is it nutrient deficiency or imbalance? Is it a disease causing pathogen? Is it insects? Is it an environmental issue? Is it a lack of good soil biology? Or did the gardener just screw things up? Always lots of stuff to learn whether this is a hobby or an occupation.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote