View Single Post
Old December 18, 2015   #55
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Iornite can take care of Fe.

As for the organic fertilizer prices I find it aggravating.
It seems all you have to do new days is put organic on something and you can jack the price up.
Some of it is just over the top.

Now I am thinking of a cartoon where a home owner is standing over an intruder he just shot saying.
You will be happy to know you have just been shot with all organic, pesticide, gluten and GMO free home grown ammunition.
Worth
Thanks Worth,
Actually I have been looking into Ironite (1-0-1 granular) and I was wondering how much Fe it contains. In a SfGate site finally got the answer :

Quote:
Granular Ironite

The standard granulated Ironite plant supplement provides 1 percent nitrogen, no measurable phosphorous and 1 percent potassium, along with 12 percent iron. Apply 1.5 cups per 100 square feet. Ironite Plus granular contains 2 percent iron, plus 12 percent nitrogen 10 percent phosphorus and 10 percent nitrogen. Spread 3 to 9 cups of Ironite Plus per 100 square feet. Water in granular Ironite immediately after spreading to distribute nutrients to the roots.
Looks pretty good, 12% iron.
Then I have been reading about lead and arsenic in it. Jury is divided. But I gather the amount of those when mixed into soil is well below max safety level.
So I am decided to add granular Ironite to take care of the deficiency.
I read somewhere that iron can help the plant to better absorb solar energy. Plus it makes the foliage greener as does magnesium and nitrogen.
So in 2016 I know what to do.
As I mentioned before, I'll add some microbe booster to convert some of the organic matter into nutrients. BTW: the reason for high organic matter in my soil is that I add lots of pine mulch, small nuggets. In a way my raised beds contain a structure like in container mix.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote