Thread: Radishes
View Single Post
Old January 1, 2016   #12
spacetogrow
Tomatovillian™

Cooked radish root is just so-so in my book but that's my attitude about a number of cooked root vegetables. I believe that in the orient one of the major ways of using radishes is to slice and dry the bigger ones, like the daikon types, for use in cooking later in the year.

Sliced up radish root is also a commonly used ingredient in kimchi, I'm told. You can make your own. I've done it but found it too time-consuming for my taste.

The greens are fine cooked...if you like cooked greens. The leaves do get prickly as they become full size, but that doesn't seem to matter once they are cooked.

The way I enjoy radish the most is eating the pods raw with dip. You can cook them, too, but I like them much better raw. Be forewarned however that bolting radish plants can get quite tall. The Candela di Fuoco that I grew last year also got VERY bushy and top heavy...and highly productive of many, many pods. I hadn't thought of how much shade they would produce and planted them much too close to the bush squash. Oops.

On the topic of radish pods, does anyone know of any radish varieties that produce longer pods that are still more mild tasting than the Rattail types are reported to be? The Candela pods were about 1-1/2 inches long, which is OK but time-consuming to pick.

Last edited by spacetogrow; January 1, 2016 at 11:31 AM.
spacetogrow is offline   Reply With Quote