View Single Post
Old January 17, 2016   #15
imp
Tomatovillian™

A couple melons have been truly above and beyond expectations were Ha'Ogen- sweet, like in OMG sweet, softer flesh that is white to pale pale green and melts in your mouth; people would stop their cars in the street and ask us what that wonderful smell was when we grew them in the front yard. Seriously, a melon to delight your mouth.

Bad side- they slip, so if you trellis them, you need to "sling "them and they are productive as hell for us at about 10 to 14 melons per vine. But they do not hold real long, thin rind, but take chilling very well. They are small, 2 servings per unless you are Rob, who ate the last two all by himself while I was at work ( and yes, I am still twitting him about that from time to time!). The vines are a bit...wispy? but love the heat. Don't water them a lot for the sweetest melons.

Crane melon- needs heat to be good, but it's a very good and productive melon for us. A bit better at holding than Ha'Ogen is, but you'll not need to hold them long. Let them ripen up to the color change on the "freckles " for the best flavors.

Unnamed cantaloupe I had volunteer from the community gardens- almost like a Minnasota midget for size, was very very productive with no care growing in gravel and almost no water. Very vining, good sized leaves, more than 20 little melons from the one ( I think it was just one plant) and intense orange with a small seed cavity. Flavor was the best cantaloupe I've had since California. Heavy netting, slight sutures, did not slip, and changed color slightly at full ripening, plus they smelled wonderfully. Went right up to frost.

I do have seeds for this one if you want to try it. We'll be growing it again.

edit- have grown hybrid melons in the past and several were good, but the above 3 were the best IMO, and everyone who tried them were quite taken with them. Never had such a consensus on the hybrids as we had on the 3 above. My neighbor asked me if I was going to grow those little melons again this year ( Ha'Ogen) and I told her we were and she reminded me that we ARE good friends and I SHOULD remember that especially as they get ripe! The last time we could grow them was 5 years ago, at the start of the drought.

Last edited by imp; January 17, 2016 at 02:12 PM.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote