View Single Post
Old January 23, 2016   #46
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicollas View Post
I agree that the grippy trait can be very usefull, please continue the good work on this line too

earlier you said "The precocious flowering trait from Kimberley is recessive", are you confident on this info ? Do you think it has the ft gene ?
Nicollas, I don't know which gene is involved, but I think ft is something else. It is Fusion Power who referred to Kimberley as "precocious flowering" so this is what I called the trait. Kimberley is significantly earlier to flower than early varieties such as Stupice for example. Under identical conditions here, the first flower for Kimberley is around 45 days from seed, compared to approximately 60 days for most "early" types. And some fall in between of course.
Some studies of earliness found that the time to first flower, the time from flower to fruit set, and the time from set to ripe, are three distinct traits under separate genetic control (but also subject to influence of the environment). My F1 growouts last year (nine F1's) would lead me to believe that the earliness traits are recessive, with the earliness of F1's similar to the later parent in most cases. I only saw one case of earliness "heterosis" - that was the cross with Stupice. I know these are probably "QTL" s rather than simply recessive, but this is what I found.

Last edited by bower; January 23, 2016 at 07:35 AM.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote