View Single Post
Old April 3, 2007   #8
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

OH! THAT OTHER GARLIC PLANTING 10 YEARS AGO WAS A DIFFERENT GARDEN! SORRY

I'm surprised people think that 6" of shredded leaves is a lot for garlic to grow thru. I have a grass that grows thru the asphalted part of the driveway (2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inches of asphalt)! Not thru a crack in the asphalt, it just appears thru the asphalt. I know I'm now talking about grass busting thru asphalt but how much easier should it be for garlic to push thru shredded leaves?
I think shredded leaves can pack down especially when wet but they are just leaves so I never thought about the garlic's ability to push thru them. My concern was the moisture retention creating fungal or mildew problems. As stated my plants in year 2 did have foilage abnormalities. My soil is sandy loam and drains very well. I never have standing water in the garden (ever) and in the heat of july I wish it retained moisture better (I have added a lot of compost and other organic material) but it is sandy.
More people think the leaves present a problem re the plants pushing thru the mulch and only keith thinks the moisture the leaves retain presents no problem based upon my soil's ability to drain. I'm still unsure how to handle this!
tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote