View Single Post
Old April 3, 2007   #14
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

What on earth is 'handling' anyway? I went to the store and bought some cornflakes ... 2.99, zero for handling. Bought a couple Papa John's pizzas ... $20, zero handling. I tipped the guy though, is that 'handling'? I'm sure I don't have to give more examples.

Rhetorical question, anyway. Here's what handling is: An additional upcharge on something you buy, that some folks don't notice. They'll see "Oooh, lookie, packs of seeds only $2 each!". The 'handling' charge can double the final price of those seeds, but no matter, $2 each makes the buyers feel like they're getting a bargain.

Every day on Ebay I see small trinkets for 99 cents each, plus $7 for shipping and 'handling'. "What a bargain, I got a charm for my necklace for only 99 cents!!" Uhhhh, no.

TV commercials: Exercise equipment, diet pills, et al ... Only three easy payments of <whatever price>, 'plus postage and handling' in REAL small letters. That upcharge isn't revealed though, you gotta call and get the figure. "Full money back guarantee if not delighted!! 'minus postage and handling' in REAL small letters again. Company makes money even on returns.

It's just another way for a company to increase sales. Instead of saying "Diet pills, $150", it sounds much cheaper to say "Diet pills, just three easy payments of $39.95 plus shipping and handling".

It'll be Helena Handbasket the day those aforementioned cornflakes cost $2.99, plus 'handling'. Me: "What, handling??" Storekeeper: "Yes, we have to pay the stockpeople to put the cornflakes on the shelf and the janitors to keep the floors clean and the baggers who pack the cornflakes and ... "