View Single Post
Old February 11, 2016   #27
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker88 View Post
I've thought about this, more-so when I was thinking about using 4x4 treated posts, (see earlier posts in this thread) as they would be easy to swap out when they rotted.

But several building forums mentioned that above-grade footers with anchors like you explained are for downward point loads, (houses, decks) and not so much for fences. The physics in my head seemed to justify their claim, but I'm by no means an expert.
Here is the deal about footers for net and chain link fences you want to have them below ground for three reasons.
One the bottom of the fence is at ground level.
Two you dont see the ugly footers sticking up.
Three the soil wont wash away and leave the footing sticking above ground.
We dont have frost heave here where I live in Texas but we do have something else and that is in many places clay soil.
No one builds a house on clay soil here that is worth a hoot.
They may pour footers and the slab but they dont drop pilings below the line in the clay where it doesn't get dry and wet.
Now everyone has a house that moves around.
One way to stop this is to put in rain gutters and channel the water away that is what I did.
Another thing to do is to excavate out around the area of the house and put a layer of stabilized sand down on top of the clay before you pour the slab.
That slab needs to be on a vapor barrier.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote