View Single Post
Old February 14, 2016   #225
Ozark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
Ed, I haven't been able to find much about (Bread and Salt) Khlebosolnyi Rozovyi. Tatiana says it's a determinate regular leaf large pink beefsteak, but not much more. Others say it's an oxheart? I assume you've grown it before, since you're "back to basics". Could you tell us a little about it, like why you like it, and your approximate dtm? Steve
Steve, I'm the one growing Bread and Salt this year. I haven't tried it before. I added those seeds to my order from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, which is located only about 30 miles from me and my interest is based entirely upon their description of the tomato and the three excellent customer reviews here:

http://www.rareseeds.com/bread-and-salt-tomato/

But it's not so simple, of course. Tatiana and some other on-line sites say the information about this variety is confused:

"First introduced commercially in North America by Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds in 2010, under translated name Bread and Salt. Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds catalog picture does not match the pictures given by Russian seed vendors for Khlebosolnye. It should be a bright red oblate tomato, but what is sold in the North America is a heart-shaped tomato. There must be some seed mixup happened in the seed exchange transaction between Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds and a Russian seed saver, or the variety was not entirely stable. I suspect the stability could have been an issue, as the Russian vendor ‘Sibirskiy Sad’ shortly released another variation of this tomato named Khlebosolnyi Rozovyi (pink)."

I'm buying my seeds from Baker Creek so that's why I added Rozovyi (pink) to the name to clarify which tomato I'm growing. In their catalog it looks like a large heart variety to me. I don't know for sure about DTM, determinate vs. indeterminate, leaf type, etc., but I'm guessing it will prove to be a late-season, indeterminate, wispy regular-leaved, meaty, excellent-flavored Russian heart like all the others in that category that I've grown. If so, I'm bound to like it!
Ozark is offline   Reply With Quote