View Single Post
Old April 5, 2007   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

The segment on Strawberries missed a lot of key points and made it sound a lot easier than it is.

She did not really cover how important root and crown placement are. She did not cover how important it is that the soil be sandy and well-draining. She did not mention the new day neutral varieties of strawberries. She showed, but did not mention or discuss that you want individual strawberry crowns to be separated before planting. This is extremely important. Most strawberry transplants or buckets you find at garden centers have 2, 3, or more crowns very close together. These will fight with each other and produce just a few, small berries. You want crowns to be as far apart as possible -- in raised beds this is 1 foot.

Also I was astounded to see her WALKING in her raised beds, giving people the impression that there is nothing wrong with this.

I was about to scream at the TV when she mentioned Anthracnose and said that picking off the leaves was the best solution. But at the end of that segment, she did have a bottle turned away from the camera that looked suspiciously like Daconil and suggested people contact their county extension office to learn what fungicides are best.

She demonstrated both a raised bed and one of those strawberry planter pots that has holes in the sides to plant approx 16 plants.

Squirrels and birds were mentioned as a problem, but the usual advice of a few fake owls just doesn't work as well as some inexpensive netting. Yes it's ugly, but it works.

She did explain that in the South, strawberries are sometimes grown as annuals, but she said that the plants should be discarded and replanted each year. This is an expensive proposition for a small garden, as 25 bare root plants are $8 plus $17 shipping. The advice I have heard is to let the mother plants produce runners and try to get one good, strong daughter plant from each parent plant and then in the fall, pull the parent plants. This way you have new plants each year without paying for them.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote