Thread: Soil ?
View Single Post
Old February 25, 2016   #34
TheUrbanFarmer
Tomatovillian™

I'll reassert that cottonseed meal IS NOT ideal if you are attempting an organic garden. It has restricted usage based on NOP guidelines and many state guidelines suggest you use other sources simply because of remaining pesticide residues. Many other states do not even allow its usage as a possible organic amendment for the same reason. Not to mention that much of cotton grown any more is genetically modified, which prevents it's usage as an organic amendment as well.

Cottonseed meal/cake is nothing more than a waste byproduct of the cottonseed oil industry. The oil is chemically extracted, generally with hexane. That residue also remains, although it is generally considered negligible based on how it interacts with the environment post processing.

Truth is, the only people saying emphatically there is no pesticide residue left in the seed meal, is the cotton industry.

It has nothing to do with "ethical sourcing" concerns. It has everything to do with the factual reality of the product.

Regardless, to each their own. I'm not attempting to change opinions, merely attempting to provide factual information. I'll not even bother to discuss the issue of aflatoxin residuals in cotton crops...

Last edited by TheUrbanFarmer; February 25, 2016 at 01:27 PM.
TheUrbanFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote