Thread: Soil ?
View Single Post
Old February 27, 2016   #43
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmette View Post
Thanks for the replies. I think that there are situations where working leaves in to the top layer can be beneficial. For me, it has helped loosen up the soil, increasing aeration.
Hi Chris,
Our garden aren't very far apart, maybe 10 miles or so, but due to the glaciers, soil can vary greatly within short distances. My soil is basically dolomite clay. It is alkaline with a PH of 7.4 and lacks structure (organic matter) and nitrogen big time.
I compost leaves and other plant matter to help the structure of the soil. Adding cotton seed meal or other grain meals to a compost pile or garden to help boost the nitrogen level, sounds like an excellent idea. It may be a good source of slow release fertilizer that would benefit both the garden plants and the microbes in the soil.
I have been toying with this idea for awhile and may try this in both a test compost pile and a section of the garden. Thank you Worth for bring this to my attention again with your posts. And thanks again to all for posting.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote