View Single Post
Old April 11, 2007   #75
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Feldon,
Photobucket has improved it's options from a while ago:

Quote:
the problem with Photobucket, is that it does not re-compress the images. The total download size of the images you have posted is about 4 MB, which takes 20 minutes for someone on a dialup modem to download and view.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with what you did, and they are GREAT photos. Just that Photobucket has some limitations.
Feldon, I think you are offering a great photo service, and I like the way your thumbnails look, very clear that they are clickable. But Photobucket is also quite flexible if a person studies all their options. When you upload your photos, you have a choice of various sizes that they can be saved as - click on the tiny blue Options highlight above the first browse upload box and you will see :

Image Options

avatar ( 100 x 75 ) 19" screen ( 1280 x 960 ) thumbnail ( 160 x 120 ) 21" screen ( 1600 x 1200 ) website, email ( 320 x 240 ) 22" screen ( 2048 x 1536 ) message board ( 640 x 480 ) 23" screen ( 2240 x 1680 ) 15" screen ( 800 x 600 ) 2 megabyte file size 17" screen ( 1024 x 768 )
1 megabyte file size

Message board ( 640 x 480 ) is a good size to use. Anything larger should definitely consider using the thumbnail link to be courteous to dial-up users. Once your photo is saved, to put a link into a board message, you can either (1) copy the proper tag below each photo, which will make the message board screen picture appear as whatever size you saved the photo as, or (2) put a check mark in the box(s) below the photo(s), then scan to the bottom of the page and click on Generate HTML and IMG code where you have a full range of choices to copy from including clickable thumbnails.

Thumbnail:

Full size uploaded (544 x 448 - odd size because I usually crop and reduce my pictures before uploading)

I was burned a couple of years ago when I lost many picture links from a travel board I participated on. The webmaster who was hosting the pictures (free to start with - later a small annual fee) had a disagreement with some of the board members and kicked them off the board and deleted their pictures. I was not one of them at that time, but it made me realize what thin ice you tread on when you rely on a private individual to be your host. I continued using the service for a time, but due to periodic disruption in services, eventually began to store my pictures on Photobucket. When I did not renew with my old host, I permanently lost all the existing photo links in my travel reports, some of which were in archives on different boards.

Dee
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote