View Single Post
Old April 12, 2007   #12
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I think it's true of any topic that the more you know about it, the more you will be infuriated by how journalists and TV personalities alike completely and totally bungle its coverage. Those who can become researchers and historians, those who are bored after a 1 page synopsis become TV news anchors.

I know I'm skating on political ice now but I will just say I encourage people to at least try to read a news magazine once in a while. The 20 seconds of coverage you get on each topic on TV tells you 1 person's opinion from a certain viewpoint of a tiny fraction of what happened. A 2-4 page news article by a journalist at least has a CHANCE of giving you a few different viewpoints and some background information.

I just watched the blackberries segment on Fresh from the Orchard. That show is so much fluff. They showed lots of beauty shots of blackberries and spent almost 2 minutes showing how to pick a ripe blackberry but did not actually show pruning primocanes vs florocanes. They planted the Hull and Kiowa blackberry varieties. TAMU article about blackberries. I didn't see anything on the show that I really objected to, but then again I know almost nothing about growing blackberries.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote