View Single Post
Old March 25, 2016   #1831
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
I truly think you need to be teaching a course in how to do everything to teens and young adults. I have teens, and I am serious. Lost skillsets vanishing. My father could do almost anything, too. That is why I appreciate it.
I wish I could but have no way of doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
As a teen I was repairing old lamp TV (made with vacuum tubes) in my parents home. Tubes were disconnecting almost every other week. I got used to solder.
In school in home economics class we learned how to fix wires in the iron. New once are not that simple.
This are little things but I was proud of my self not to depend on other people.
Worth, you are doing an amazing job with that bike. Most of the things sounds gibberish to me. I wish I can learn half of what you can do.
I could go into detail on it and it does pertain to gardening in a way you wouldn't imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
amen to both of these sentiments. Bulldog and Efisakov.

I am not going to say this generation is going to be our downfall, but they are so self centered and absorbed with technology that they have no skills. no job skills, no manual skills, no self sufficiency skills. pitiful. Unfortunately our government is partly to blame... when children want to help they aren't old enough ( you sure don't cross osha on this) and when they are old enough they don't want to do it anymore. they are going through childhood playing and not learning any real skills (playing soccer is not a skill) and when they get to being old enough to actual help they find it "work" or boring". Just my personal opinion.
Carolyn I was raised up before OSHA.
Here is the start on my motorcycle adventure.
My father bought me a little one that would run at around 50 miles an hour when I was 11 years old.
If I broke it I had to fix it and I did quite often.
I also got to use our 63 ford flat bed one ton truck and trailer I made myself to haul things to make money when I was a kid.
If it broke I had to use the money I made and fix it.
With that truck and trailer I made I could haul 100 bales of hay at a time.
It as one kick tail trailer too.
I I used the front axle from a two ton truck set the wheels right and welded up the king pins so they wouldn't turn anymore.
That would be 1/8 inch toe in, in the front.
This way it would road walk.
Then I took am old school bus frame and split it down the middle to widen it and welded it back up.
The cross braces for the bed were 4X4 white oak and the wood runners were 2X6 white oak.
I even wired it up for brake and turn signals all on my own.
This was all done when I was 16 years old.

Here is a real good story.
Where I used to work there was a house next to us.
They guy that lived there had a 68 GTX that was black.
Here is a 68 GTX.

Also in his yard there was a 68 Plymouth Satellite and a little kid about 14 years old working on it every day after school.
In two years time that kid had that car running and painted like a new one and it was his first car.
His father had bought the car to rob parts off of for his car.
He told me it was in such good shape he couldn't do it and told his kid if he wanted it he could fix it up and drive it so he gave it to his son.
The kids Satellite had a big 440 magnum with dual exhausts and was bad to the bone.
This was in the 90's.
I grew up with tools in my hand and did my fare share of breaking off bolts stripping screw heads and losing parts.
But I learned when I was in grade school not as a man.
Even men my age many cant do anything it isn't just our children.

One guy I knew a wanna be biker paid the Harley dealership to put on ape hanger handle bars.
I told him it was a mistake but he did it anyway.
He had the dealership do it.
The next time I saw him he said something was wrong with his new Harley.
With the clutch in he couldn't stop the bike.
I told him what it was how to fix it and he simply couldn't believe me and that they would give him back the bike like that.
Well yes they did.
He fooled around and let their repair warranty run out and the last I heard he wasn't riding anymore.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote