View Single Post
Old March 26, 2016   #73
GreenEyed Lady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbebs View Post
Squirrel
I too am new to growing tomatoes in containers, but have over 50 years of in-ground
experience. I think 8 indeterminates per tank might be pushing it. Even if pruned and given ample vertical support you will end up with a jungle. I've included a picture of a stock tank I'm using this year. It holds 3 dwarf tomatoes, a determinate and a couple
ornamental peppers and flowers.
My soil mix is horse manure, leaves, partly finished compost and a bit of garden soil.
I'll top this off next year with the spent soil from the many containers I'm using for tomatoes and peppers.
The other picture is of a few maters in the ground. Think about the depth and width
of soil given each plant. I don't think this can be duplicated in a container. How you add nutrients to your container plants will determine how they produce.
The only ferts my garden has seen in 30 years is manure and cover crops.
I don't know what i'll use in the containers if they show a deficiency.
Keep us posted on how your crop is doing and how your managing fertilizer needs.
What are the half-round supports? I tried explaining a similar thing to hubby but apparently not in a way he could understand. Yours looks like maybe they are pre-formed, is that the case?
GreenEyed Lady is offline   Reply With Quote