View Single Post
Old April 14, 2016   #37
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

MissS..I have rung one Garden centre and they have limited additives in stock at this time of the year ..They do have Tom-a-Rite which I already have so I photographed it along with two of my cuttings ...One the leaves have wilted but the stem looks alright...The other one which I admit always looked the strongest of my cuttings has a lower branch where the leaves are a definate yellow=green and this can be seen....Now I also pulled up slightly???carefully on the mainstem ...there was an initial small upward movement but then it stopped and it was evident to me that something was holding it and which I presume is root growth....

So they are approaching 10 days in their containers..

Now I still have a lot to learn and this has always bugged me inside and outside...When I water with additives once every so many days as per the instructions ....I have always presumed that in the inbetween days I just water with water??

In my thirst for knowledge I came across a YouTube video of a commercial operation in North Carolina and was amazed to see that they grew their Tomatoes in a slab of Coconut Fibre ...Amazing ....the slab had little depth so I presume the roots grew side ways ....I also came across a video where a gentleman actually put a clear soda bottle (cut length wise) and the bottom cut out (to the top)...around a well formed lateral ....taped the slot together with cotton balls round where the spout was and just put soil in the bottle ....some water and 2 weeks later one could see the roots system....He then cut off the lateral ..removed if from the bottle and planted it...
I thought that was great....So simple and the lateral was growing roots while sustained by the parent plant.....

Now I do live close to the sea..Most New Zealanders do ...My seed Propagator has a clear plastic lid and forms a lot of moisture on it when I do my seeds So I presume this indicates that I could get similar results by putting a small plastic bag over each cutting pot....
Regards Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2121.jpg (382.0 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2120.jpg (303.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg TOM_A_RI.jpg (614.2 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2122.jpg (279.4 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by murihikukid; April 14, 2016 at 08:19 PM.
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote