View Single Post
Old April 15, 2016   #41
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by murihikukid View Post
Patti..I failed to ask? you say "I use Plastic Bags round the Laterals" ..I am trying to visualise this ...is there soil in the bags.?? ....I must Google and see what comes up.... I regret not playing round with gardening 20 -30 years ago but it has given me a real interest late in life although this season sadly nothing tastes right ....The cuttings have all had a 1/2 strength mix ture of Tom-a= lite..I hope they like it....
You could use soil in the bags, but I use moist moss. I don't necessarily use a bag but rather just plastic wrapped around a branch and secured with a twist-ties on either end. First I wrap wet moss around the branch that I am going to use, and then wrap the plastic around that and fasten. It is lighter than using soil so that the branch does not need as much support.

Another very easy way to to air-layer is to just take a low branch and lay it down on the soil surface. You could cover the branch with soil or use something to hold it down on the soil such as a rock or large garden staple, until the branch roots. You cut it off when the branch has some roots and pot it up.