View Single Post
Old April 15, 2016   #19
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOaks View Post
I see a bunch of people posted while I was working this all out...

Houston we have a problem.

Soil, is a persnickety thing to try to figure out. Some soil expands, some expands and then settles down a bit. You get the idea.

I wasn't familiar with "Wonder Soil" so I did some looking. It seems that HD sells it in the 2.5 Cu. Ft. bags that you speak of.

One of my questions was as to whether or not it is compressed of fluffy. On the package it says that it expands to "up to 70 Liters".

So 70 L converted to gallons = 18.492 So we will say 18 gallons.

You are interested in filling 10 Gallon bags. Nursery gallons are different then US Gallons. Unfortunately HD gives the wrong dimensions on the product. The dimensions they give are for a 21 Gallon bag.

We could assume that the bags, in real life hold 8 gallons of soil. I think that's a fair guess.

So 1 bag of Wonder Soil would fill 2, 10 gallon bags, with some soil left over. If the bags hold 8 gallons, then 4 bags of Wonder Soil would fill 9, 10 gallon bags, with nothing left.

You want to fill 50 bags. So at the rate of 8 gallons, that would be 22 bags of Wonder Soil. With a little left over.

That's about $417...
Yep I am not spending that kind of cabbage this year. Thank you all for the math.
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote