View Single Post
Old April 20, 2016   #53
Rue Barbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
This sounds like a situation ripe for experimentation.

Grow some superhots and some sweet peppers right next to each other. Then taste test different parts of the resulting fruit.
I inadvertently did this a few years ago. I grew some super tame Tam jalapenos in the same row as some generic Habaneros. I had grown the Tams from the same seed packet in prior years and they were consistently mild. Yet the summer that I grew them within striking distance of the Habs, there was an occasional Tam that was 'rip your tongue out' hot. I had not thought that would/coulc happen, but it did.

Were my plants stressed? I don't recall, but we get no summer rain and depend on me to irrigate. And there was perhaps heat lurking in the Tam's genetic linage. But the heat was far greater than 'jalapeno hot' - it was throat-closing, tear-inducing uncomfortable.

I no longer grow habs. I don't much like that much heat, and I don't want to take that risk again.

I am coincidentally a trained botanist, though pepper genetics is not close to my area of interest. Also, just like any scientific field or other areas of expertise, thinkopinions of 'experts' on many things can vary greatly. Think about how many conflicts there have been over the years about medical advice, or even which foods are healthy, and which are not.
Rue Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote