View Single Post
Old April 20, 2016   #19
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi...My friend in Canada that being honest I totally rely on contacted me the other day on Skype and he went through the posts and he is going to contact one of his friends about issues raised ..I am hoping this will be soon ?? I have my fingers crossed....
Meantime I will point out that my idea was not for seedlings but to supplement the light in my greenhouse...I live at the bottom of the world and we never had a good tomato summer.Yes it may well be my Tomatoes are not ripening due to heat issues but I feel light is also a big factor...Now its the end of the season here and I have been hit by blight etc so all I can do is try and ripen what I have , plan ahead and up my game for next season ...There are so many conflicting opinions out there on the internet re lighting ....I showed my friend the two Server PSU's I bought ...the 12V rail is rated @ 47A on each and he said they were perfect ...
I have nine 230v 5 foot LED T8 Tubes in reserve which I could use but as I have already pointed out ..it seems to me there is no definitive opinion particularly on colour temperature although it seems to me that one needs lights to cover the spectrum of what natural daylight is...and LED's looked perfect for this and I had access to reflecter units (free) namely car headlights ....It never occurred to me that the wires would be a problem......My friends initial idea was to get a complete Fusebox/ Harness/lightswitch in fact everything from a car and with Relay switches etc a safe circuit could be put together ...At this time just normal car headlight bulbs were in the design but then LED Headlight bulbs at a cheap price and available for the different sockets and in a wide range of Kelvin became a much better option ....
Anyway I am so inept at this that I still cannot get round the issue of how a few 12V LED's used in a car and fed by a 12v battery has no problems yet the same bulbs when put in a greenhouse and fed 12V via a 240 Power supply unit /transformer becomes apparantly an insurmountable problem ...I can only put this down to (at my age) inadequate schooling which I know was my own stupid fault... Keep the comments coming as I am really loving these... Regards Ron.....
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote