View Single Post
Old April 23, 2016   #5
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

This is great information you have provided. So first off thank you very much for your time and knowledge! I know it's not a easy thing to offer advise because of all the variables. Again your time and knowledge as well as everyone else's here is the resource I needed. I really want to get on the right track but it's very confusing to say the least. Being a first year Gardner I will have all sorts of stupid questions. The thing is I can't learn if i don't ask them.

So Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest
You only have 80 sqft (an acre is 43,560).
I wanna recheck with you on this. My garden plot is 20 ft x 40 ft so its a 800 sqft area. The math you used below was it based on 80 sqft or 800 sqft?

Quote:

Use 5 lbs of lime spread evenly as possible over your garden. Water it in.

You are applying calcitic lime, but your ph test doesn't tell us why your pH is what it is.
If you are low in magnesium dolomitic limestone would have been the lime to use.

Don't freak out though it won't be the end of the world both limestones are high in calcium. The dolomitic just would have delivered some magnesium too.

You can always add that later if mag is needed.
Southern States is not that far from the house and Lime is cheap. So i will swap out the Calcitic and get Dolomitic. So first lesson learned and that's why I posted the pictures. Thanks for the hand holding on the Lime. I still need to confirm the amount to apply for 800 sqft.

I also have done quite a bit of googling for some sort of Magnesium test I could buy but could not find one. While googling I found a lot of posts about Hydrated Lime being to fast acting or strong I guess. So I am trying to confirm that before the next trip out to SS. So a couple questions...

1) Should a pelleted type be used or powder?
2) Hydrated or regular Lime?

Quote:

I applaud you for testing your soil, but encourage you to take 2-3 tablespoons of soil from 10 spots around your garden about 4-6" deep before you lime and fertilize or add anything else to your garden. We don't want fresh lime or fert to mess with your next test.
I have already added almost 1 yard of the local county made compost. There is no way i can get a clean sample of my soil anymore.

1) Will this effect any test results from a lab?

Quote:

Don't touch it with your hands, as they have a pH value you don't want contaminating the sample. Save this soil to send or take to a lab so you can get more details on exactly what is going on with your soil. Your initial test is telling u things might be off, but you don't know to what degree or why. A lab or cooperative extension will give you these details and it won't cost that much. Search online for soil labs in Virginia or your neighboring states. You may be in driving distance of a local university that does testing or you might have to mail the sample. They only need a cup worth.
I will get more samples from the plot before I add anything else. I will try to find a lab to send it off but not really sure if its going to do any good for this year. I must get everything planted / sowed asap. I need to get all the seeds in the ground. Whats your take on the time line? I really only have a 4 month window right now. So 120 days and most my plants wont start producing until late July or August. Sure I have September but it does start getting dicey weather wise. Plus the fact I added all that local made compost.

Quote:
Do not use the 17-17-17 on your seedlings, you will probably burn them.
Loud and clear about the fert on the seedlings. I am getting ready to transplant them all into styrofoam cups filled with miracle grow potting soil. What can i do to help them move along? Maybe the MG potting soil is enough?

I will break down the rest of your very informative post in a few minutes. I want to get this part posted now. Again thank you so much for your knowledge & time!

Bill
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote