View Single Post
Old May 16, 2016   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntannedSwede View Post
An addendum: does anyone know how tall each of these varieties will grow typically?
I grew Indigo Rose last year in contained and I am growing it again. It is a compact indterminant. Mine was a 4 gallon pot grew little over 3 ft tall.
I am growing Riesentraube . From what I have read, it should grow about 5 ft tall. It is not like some cherry varieties that grow wild.

On the pruning: As Robert mentioned above, it is advised to prune lower branches.
I do that plus more and keep about 3 stems on indeterminates but keep most of the laterals on determinates.

Yes, pruning is optional as is "not pruning". There is no MUST or rules to follow either option. In parts it depend on how one supports and spaces the plants. Witth 2 ft spacing (or less) you cannot let the plants grow wild. But if you space them 3 ft plus, you will have more room for the plants to grow sideway.

One more thing: Pruning has two aspects:
1- lightening up the leaf branches ( both lower ones and some within the plant) This will help a good air flow and help prevent some fugal diseases. Fungi/bacteria need a stagnant wet condition to survive and multiply.
2- Pruning lateral (suckers). This is to control the plant size. In a short growing season, the laterals have very slim chance to grow and start to payback. With 2 months of harvest window of time, most fruits that suckers will grow might not have a good chance to get ripe before the weather turns cold. Unless you want to make a lot of pickles.
Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote