View Single Post
Old May 23, 2016   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Is a 220 hot plate really needed for canning? I just bought a good 110 hot plate,I hope it's good enough.
I have a grinder similar to yours but I think it's a size or two larger. I grind meat for the cats and throw in the bones so I needed something powerful. I burned up my Kitchen Aid and a less expensive stand alone grinder before getting my LEM.
I love that stainless steel sink counter! Wish I had a spot to put that. I might consider it for the barn come to think of it.
I'm planning on making a sink/table think for cleaning fish and butchering chickens one of these days. This would be for outdoors.
I'm sure the 110-120 will be fine.
There is no real advantage to the 220-240 other than wire size for the same amount of wattage/amps.
The idea that 220/240 cost less to run is a myth.
It doesn't matter if you are pulling 10 amps down one wire or 5 amps down two wires, the meter sees it the same.
The difference is with 220/240 you can use a smaller wire as I said.
Some of the places I worked they would inspect good extension cords if they had a cut in the insulation they would cut the cord in half and throw it away.
These are high dollar 12 gauge cords of the highest quality.
I would take them home put new ends on them and use them.
One of them was the right size/length to power up my lathe.
Actually over sized.
If you need to run an extension cord to your hot plate make darn sure you use a 12 gauge cord no longer than it needs to be.
This will keep you safe and happy.

My number 22 grinder has a 1 1/2 horse motor with reverse the LEM #22 is a 1 horse motor with no reverse.
They are both good grinders.
I really like the revers feature.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote