View Single Post
Old March 1, 2006   #5
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

charlie,

what is the purpose of overdriving? i read about this at the gul forum at gw 2 years ago but i forget. does this draw more juice, increase amp use on a breaker and cost more for extra electricity used? cost is pretty minor presently but i am concerned about amps being used on my present setup, i have a fridge (requires 15 amps) and 4 lights using 256 watts on a 20 amp breaker. i want to add more shop lights, another 384 watts. i may start a thread on this.

the reason i ask is that i get great results using shop lights from hd. i can't imagine any better results, i actually have delayed my seed starting from 4/1 to 4/10 cuz my plants were so tall by 5/15 they barely fit under the lights. i twice changed the height of the shelves for the extra growth. from what i remember if your plants, any plants, get too big (tall) the upper leaves are getting the light while the lower foliage gets very little. this is why you can't grow 3'+ plants under fluro lights and you have to go to metal halide which as mischka noted are expensive to run (and buy).

why did you overdrive them?

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote