View Single Post
Old June 1, 2016   #12
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

It was a 5 year cinnamon apple tree grown from a 3 gallon pot. Think it was a dwarf variety and was supposed to top out at about 20 ft, but would really like a tree that tops out at 15 ft with a 12-15ft wingspan.

To my understanding (not a orchard expert), you need two different varities to create pllination that bloom at about the same time? I have a self-pollinating peach tree that puts off a ton (but 2ft wood pecker got me this year), other than that - this apple tree is the only other fruit on the property.

I do have plenty of room to plant whatever, so if need be can plant 2-200 to help bring on the fruit. Something drought tolerant is always ideal cuz we get the heat.

I thought there were "self-pollinating" apple trees though.

There is a nursery going out of business in town that has some big trees left (all the jap-map and mrytles are gone), that are like 60% off. Maybe I will cruise by there. Seems like I have much better "luck" when I toss a bigger tree in the hole from the beginning instead of nurturing a small sap.

I planted a black locust tree where the pear was, and that could be a colossal mistake - heard those can get a little unruly. But they are nitrogen fixers and very hardy.

On a side note, the elm stump on the fence (previous post) is waving the white flag. The drilled hole w/ uncut brush killer seems to be working.

Thanks for listening to all my "problems," LOL
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote