View Single Post
Old March 1, 2006   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry, but I guess I didn't explain what I wanted to say very clearly.

No one knows the extent to which SBD tried to dehybridize the initial hybrid between Brandywine and an unknown black parent.

So no one would know if they had the black parent b'c that information was never given and indeed perhaps was never known as I tried to explain above.

What Craig had was a large black on a PL plant, which is what it was said to be. His other plant was RL and had small blackish fruits that were a bag of seeds the way he's related it to me.

He saves seeds from fruits of that PL plant with large black fruits and the next time he grows it he gets a PL plant with large black fruits.

Is it what the initial hybrid looked like?

Is that one of the selections SBD found in the F2 and F3, if they carried it that far?

There is no way to know.

When I was dehybridizing what became OTV Brandywine I saw the PL with large red fruits that we wanted at the F2, the F3 and the F4 , and of course at each F I was selecting only for the large PL red, and each time I was growing out many plants. But there were other colors and other leaf forms as well that showed up at the earlier F's.

So Craig has a PL large black that he's saved seeds from and it grows true. What F is it? No way to know.

Please also remember that Craig has limited space and only usually grows one plant of each variety for his own garden.

And the largest point here being that as Craig said in the quote above, what he got is not necessarily what anyone else would get. Again, b'c of the range of pheno and genotypes that can be seen at different F's until ALL seeds planted, and **many** plants looked at, and ALL give the same plant/leaf form/fruit, then only at that time is the selection considered to be a fully genetically dehybridized OP.

Has that helped?