View Single Post
Old July 7, 2016   #1
Clint M
Tomatovillian™

Default Blossom End Rot reeking havok

I have lost well over half my crop to blossom end rot, so bad that I have know for years the miracle cures that don't work daddy bought some and they didn't work as I thought. It's distressing to say the least, the early tomato sets on bottom and midway up look good no ber, but the new tomatoes toward the top are loosing over half to ber. I'm going to get some lime today to sprinkle on top of mulch/soil and water in just to see if it helps.

My plants are wilting during the heat of the day (Georgia) they are heavily mulched with pine straw, fertilized with chicken manure, and after the tomatoes reached head high and growing out of cages sideways etc I gave one feeding of jobes (same as miracle grow). Some of the plants are suffering summer heat, but overall they are setting fruit like wildfire, beautiful vines very little disease. Water has been an issue as very little rain, I have been trying to keep them watered, but this is just not normal.... maybe the combo of chicken manure and ine needles has caused this.

On the other hand I have grown some of the biggest tomatoes ever hearts the size of two hand, brandywine even bigger, red brandywine has outperformed every plant in the garden taste wise and plant wise.... any ideas other than just keep pulling ber tomatoes ? I hate loosing over half my crop, next year I plan to put plenty of lime down months before setting out tomatoes.
Clint M is offline   Reply With Quote