View Single Post
Old July 9, 2016   #14
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Uneven watering is the cause of most BER that I have had in the past. I use cypress mulch heavily under my tomato plants and I fertilize with Texas Tomato Food and since doing those two things I have not had a single case of BER. The heat here has been very intense this summer so plants are stressing more than normal due to the amount of moisture they require in these conditions. Even with much higher than normal temps this summer I still haven't had a single case of BER out of over 80 tomato plants and none of them are wilting in the 100 degree days.

There is the possiblity that you have some nematode problems and that could definitely cause a problem with moisture intake and result in BER. With good fruit lower on the vines it is hard not to over water and split the fruit in order to maintain the fruit set on the top of the plant so you may need to water more often. I highly recommend the cypress mulch which holds soil moisture better than any mulch I have tried in 40 years of growing tomatoes and Texas Tomato Food which has boosted my production as well as general overall plant health.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote