View Single Post
Old July 11, 2016   #26
oakley
Tomatovillian™

"Oh for I forget, I was asked on the ones I put in freezer bags whole. When they thaw them. Will they turn mushy or do they stay firm? Said I would ask as I new at doing this myself."

They will be mushy fully thawed. I take out a dozen and in a very short time (15-20 minutes) they will be icy soft/firm and can be cut easily in half...so many ways to use them.

You need to read up and experiment. I mention freezing just to deal with the abundance you have, then in the cooler fall/winter months you can take out some and deal with them at that time. Delicious. A sheet pan in the oven with onion and garlic roasted on low heat for an hour or two will slightly 'dehydrate' them and make a lovely sauce...cut in half or left whole.
I have an abundance of harvest come late August/September and roast, dehydrate, freeze whole slices, roast/smoke in the smoker, then freeze for winter salsas....a hundred ways to prep for the freezer. I still have a few frozen bags of whole toms and whole cherries and smoked sauces in the freezer from last year using up now....made a fresh 'ketchup', a bbq sauce, etc. And soon i will have this years crop to deal with.

I would try something now with some of your fresh cherry toms. If too hot for your oven try your friends dehydrator or use your grill. I make a foil try lined with parchment to roast/smoke on the grill. Off the coals on the less hot side. This pic is last year early fall of mostly tomatillos for the grill/smoker. Just an hour they soften and get grilled/smokey then into the cuisinart for a coarse chop for salsa and pasta sauce. I think i end up doing about 20 trays over a few weeks, then freeze for the winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1973.jpg (369.7 KB, 59 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote