View Single Post
Old July 18, 2016   #50
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I have tried quite a few orange and yellow varieties, because I like to make an orangey tomato juice. It is usually somewhat sweeter and milder than the red ones I have made. Also, it is very pretty, which is a plus.

So, in alphabetical order, here is some worthy varieties for you to consider.
Amana Orange
Casey's Pure Yellow
Coastal Pride Orange-this is a dwarf plant that is very productive of meaty, slightly pointed orange fruit. I haven't had a summer without it since first trying it. Plants are really loaded this year, but none ripe yet.
David's Ivory Pineapple-pale yellow with pink blossom end with much more flavor than many pale tomatoes
Djena Lee's Golden Girl-wonderful golden tomato that is a must every year for us. Not heard of much anymore, which is a shame.
Garden Peach-these very plentiful gold ball sized fruit with a fuzzy skin are great for snacking on.
Indian Moon-gold medium sized. I get this one mixed up in my mind with Moonglow. Both are very good.
Hawaiian Pineapple. Similar to Virginia Sweets. One that makes us step back and say OMG when we taste the first one of the season.
Jubilee-
Kelloggs Breakfast-I personally have better luck with this than KBX, which I have tried several times.
Kentucky Beefsteak Orange And Kentucky Beefsteak Yellow-both excellent. Love them both, but a KBO sliced on a plate is sooo pretty. Also cream-sickle color and texture
Kentucky Cabin-a little darker but similar to David's Ivory Pineapple. Favorite of my husband.
Maylor Roth's Orange Brandywine-that's what I'm talking about for an orange tomato
Orange Queen-
Pork Chop
Peaches and Cream
Schellenberg's Favorite
Summer Cider
Summertime Gold

And last but not least-J C Jones-one you don't hear too much about anymore-but it really pumps out yellow beefsteaks with excellent flavor.

This year I am trialing but cannot comment on flavor yet- Dina, an orange determinate, Tom's Yellow Wonder, and Uluru Ochre. Both Dina and Uluru Ochre have fruit ripening on the counter.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote