Thread: Figs
View Single Post
Old July 29, 2016   #14
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
There isn't much to it, other than filling it leaving a space at the top, wiping the top perfectly clean, placing the lid and screw rim on tightly, then bring back up to a boil for 15 minutes. Remove and the vacuum always happens.
At least that has been my experience.
Part of the problem could be that I don't get the seals on tight enough. I don't have alot of strength in my hands. Some days I get so mad cuz I have to find wrench to open a water bottle cap.

The other reason they pop here is because I don't air conditioning in this trailer. Had feral cats rip open bottom of material under trailer and have babies up in there and neighbors dogs running free have destroyed my duck system trying to get at cat and kittens. Whole duck work needs replaced and when it 100+ outside for months on end during summer it runs close to 125F+ in trailer during day but cools down at night and then things start popping up and down.

So, while I love to share and help feed other folks it would be nice to be able to save some for me during fall and winter to eat, hence learning to try and freeze things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
You shouldn't have a problem with lids not sealing if you do it right, even in high temps.

But you can freeze the figs and make preserves later when it's cooler. Clean the figs and cut off the stem end, put in a 1 gallon ziplock and freeze. When you're ready just use it straight from the freezer and it will work fine. Here's a video that shows you how WE have been doing it forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=OKpcAr0MEBM
Thanks! I can't do You tube , tweeter or them other places like that on my computer. Too old, not enough power, so I'll check out the video when I go to neighbors house during week. She has fast computer.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote