View Single Post
Old July 31, 2016   #11
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I killed the french fries thread.

Worth
I use cast iron too, Worth. A deep chicken fryer, and a regular cast iron skillet. I also cut fries by hand and I'm pretty good at it.

I first cut my fries, and soak in cold water until I'm ready to use them, from a few minutes to a couple of hours.

When I'm ready to fry them, I drain them well, and drop them by small batches into 350 degree lard. I fry them until they are just tender with the surface just starting to blister, but still not brown. I then dip that batch out to a second skillet to rest, while I fry another batch the same way. When all have been fried and in the second skillet resting, I heat the lard to 360 degrees or a little higher.

Then I drop the precooked fries back in to the hot lard in small batches again. It don't take long this time, they turn deep golden brown in a minute or two. They are then removed to paper and satled with flake salt while they are still hot. Heat the lard back to 360, and drop another batch in. Repeat until done.

My kids would bring pizza boxes in when they were running around. I found the boxes when halved were perfect for draining the finished fries.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote