View Single Post
Old August 9, 2016   #59
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Wow! I am surprised. You would think it would keep them out. Are they on top of the bags or going inside.

They have finally arrived here in a big way along with even more hornworms. I finally got tired of trying to catch and destroy the bugs and since it end of summer season, and have more than plenty tomatoes and seeds, I pulled or cut back my plants of ones I wanted to keep going. With the cutback the stinkbugs seem to be staying off the plants.

I wonder if it the smell of the tomatoes that attracts them. Of course it doesn't help to have a neighbors garden a few feet away that doesn't scout and just lets bugs and diseases run rampant.
You should try my sink bug killer mix. I have had no problem with them now for two years even though they showed up early this year I wiped them out. Permethrin is the only poison I use on them and it is quite mild but the combination of 2 TBS of Dawn and 2/3 cup of food grade DE makes the mix long lasting which is the only way to get rid of them without resorting to strong poisons. I am even adding my copper fungicide to the mix in order to kill to birds with one stone and it seems to be working just as well as when applied alone. I only had to spray for stink bugs and leaf footed bugs twice way back in the early summer but the mix is the most effective thing I have found to fight back spider mites so I have used it three times for them. I haven't seen a stink bug in months and I'm not afraid to eat my tomatoes because of the mild toxicity of the spray.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote