View Single Post
Old August 9, 2016   #62
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
I think I may give it a try. I know as soon as the fall crop gets big enough the stink bugs will be all over the place.

For the Permethrin, is there a name brand to buy and how much. Also I bought a bottle of copper spray last year. It been kept under kitchen cupboard with other chems. Will it still be good to use and how much of it.

My sprayer is tiny. Just a 1 liter, but works good for me. I do have a bunch of one gallon milk jugs that I can use to mix formulas in and then pour into sprayer.
I don't have a name brand but buy mine at a store that deals with livestock and farming. I don't fool with the stuff they sell in the big box stores cause you are just paying for water mostly. I get one that is from 10% pure to higher and use it according to the directions but will up the dose the first time I spray for stinkbugs. I just started adding the copper to my mix a little over a month ago and have used it twice and it seems to be keeping most diseases in check just as if I was using it alone. The food grade DE is critical for long term killing of insects because Permethrin has a very short life and seems to only be good for killing the bugs you actually spray it on. The heavy dose of Dawn is poisonous to most insects but it is also critical in penetrating the protective webbing that spider mites produce so the poison can get to them. Make sure you mix the food grade DE in some plain water so it is easier to strain. I made the mistake one time of adding the Dawn before mixing it and it was a foamy mess that was too hard to strain. Once the DE is shaken up and suspended in some water then strain it into the sprayer and then add the soap and Permethrin.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote