View Single Post
Old September 21, 2016   #10
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
For me, all of my plants do best gown in beds. Pot grown plants just can't complete with what the good earth supplies to the plants.
I do better in containers myself. I can control nutrients better. What really makes the difference is warmer soil in spring for me. The soil is naturally warmer in containers. Not that much difference with tomatoes. I do well in ground too. But for peppers it's day and night. I only grow peppers in containers. They really benefit from the warm soil. Of course in warmer areas, containers can become too warm, and in ground makes a lot of sense.
For in ground I prefer raised beds as again I can control nutrients, and pH a lot better. For example here you cannot grow blueberries in ground. The pH is way too basic. Containers and raised beds produce excellent results, in ground will kill the plants here. If you had to grow blueberries in ground here, you could amend the soil heavily. But it's like throwing salt in lake Michigan, your not really going to change anything in the long run. You will constantly be fighting back the high pH and will eventually give up. Like salt thrown in Lake Michigan, the hydrogen ions will be pulled out of your soil as the surrounding soil is so basic it attracts the ions.

Last edited by drew51; September 21, 2016 at 01:07 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote