View Single Post
Old October 10, 2016   #16
shule1

EDIT: I didn't realize this was about yellow tomatoes when I wrote this, but Medovaya Kaplya is a great yellow cherry pear for taste. Yellow Riesentraube is pretty cool, too, and productive but Medovaya Kaplya is much sweeter.

I recommend Medovaya Kaplya and Ron's Carbon Copy. They're both extremely sweet cherries with consistently good flavor (but they taste a lot different from each other). Medovaya Kaplya looks like Yellow pear, but it's potato leaf. Gardener's Delight is capable of tasting awesome, given the right conditions. Cherokee Green Pear can taste pretty awesome, in a fruity, sweet way (but it doesn't taste so consistently in my garden, this year).

Other tomatoes I like for flavor (though they're not nearly as sweet) include these:
* Green Giant (for fresh eating; very juicy; rich tomato taste)
* Pruden's Purple (tastes awesome sliced fresh on hamburgers)
* I know many have disagreed, but I like Early Girl F1 when still orange (for fresh eating, salads, canning, etc.; more acidic than most tomatoes)
* McGee (at least for fresh eating, but I'm sure it has many other uses; more acidic than many tomatoes)
* Persimmon (I like it fresh; has a tangy good flavor)
* Peaceful Valley's Beefsteak (for pizza; it still tastes great after being cooked)
* Ovita (kind of unique; it surprised most people who ate it)
* I know some may disagree considerably, but I liked Tlacalula Ribbed (Pink Stuffer) a lot. It had nice flavor in my yard, and I preferred it to Zapotec Pink Pleated, which looks the same. I grew Pink Accordian for comparison, too, but it turned out to be a red plum tomato (probably a cross).

If we're including other factors besides taste, but including taste, these are my recommendations for all-around appeal (the suggestions above are just for taste, although I'm sure they could rank higher in other regards with greater acclimatization):
* Matina (mild and firm to tangy and soft; very early; very productive; a few people that tried this pointed out that they preferred it to most or all the others)
* Thessaloniki (very productive; really easy to find and pick these, as they're big, round and firm, and grow bunched together; a friend said these were the best tomatoes he had ever tasted)
* Creole (similarly in taste, texture, size and shape to Thessaloniki, but earlier in my garden; mine was smothered too much to tell how productive it can be, though)
* Sweet Ozark Orange (big orange tomatoes with decent taste and production; when they're not fully ripe, they taste kind of like peaches)
* Chapman (huge 2lb tomatoes that look and feel awesome, and have great taste)

Tomatoes may taste different in my soil and climate than yours, though (we have clay loam soil and use city water, in a near-desert climate, which may change the dynamics considerably).

Last edited by shule1; October 11, 2016 at 02:02 AM.