View Single Post
Old October 11, 2016   #25
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Three genes are being discussed: Yellow, Tangerine, and Beta. Here are a few thoughts on them.

Manyel and Galina's Yellow Cherry - good yellow, very sweet flavor that is just a tiny bit tart.

Kelloggs Breakfast (or KBX) - best tangerine I have grown, superb flavor

Jaune Flamme and Sungold - good beta varieties, JF is very tart while Sungold is very sweet.

I suggest growing Hibor which is an orange pear shaped tomato that is exceptionally sweet. Galina's is a very good large cherry. Manyel is a medium slicer that is well worth growing.
So, do all of the following varieties share the Tangerine gene (and none of them have the yellow gene)? They all turn orange, in my experience and/or others:

* Japanese Trifele Yellow
* Mexican Yellow
* Yellow Ruffled
* Sweet Ozark Orange
* Persimmon
* Big Sungold Select
* Valencia
* Dad's Sunset

I imagine Lemon Boy F1, Yellow Pear, Medovaya Kaplya, Yellow Riesentraube, Golden King of Siberia, and some others I've grown have the yellow gene, as they never turn orange in the slightest in my experience (granted, I think Golden King of Siberia has a slightly different tone of yellow than the others; so, it may or may not have a different yellow gene, if one exists).

The only tomatoes I know of off-hand with the Beta Carotene gene are Jaune Flammee and Caro Rich (but I know there are at least a few others). Does anyone know any new ones that have been bred?

Last edited by shule1; October 11, 2016 at 07:57 PM.