View Single Post
Old October 15, 2016   #103
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
I am interested in growing multifloras, I must be near 10-12 different ones and am reducing growing my standard inflorescence cherry & medium sized varieties in favor of MF's. So I'd love to grow those, they look to be similar in size or slightly larger than my SMFL MF's.
If you have any interest in trying to develop a larger fruited multiflora, I have some F2 seed I'd be happy to send you to grow out. I have lots of F2 seed of a few crosses of a micro multiflora with some large great-tasting beefsteaks. As you know, I am looking to develop new dwarf and micro multifloras.

I am assume there are some larger fruited multlfloras lurking somewhere among those F2 seeds. I start huge numbers of F2s then eliminate all the taller ones. I did grow out several indeterminates this summer hoping to finds a nice larger one. I did get one that produced 3" - 4-5 oz beefsteaks that I will grow out as F3s next summer. Problem is I don't know if the production was there. Deer kept everything eaten off to the point that only a few on the very interior of the plant matured. There were lots of blossoms and early fruit set, but it was on the row closest to where deer enter the garden and nearly everything that set got eaten.

I'd be happy to send you some to grow out next summer if you would like. I have MF crosses with Brandywine Cowlick's X Margaret Curtain, Pink Pioneet X Margaret Curtain, Blue Beauty, a few other indeterminates and several larger fruited dwarfs.

Let me know if you are interested.

Last edited by dfollett; October 15, 2016 at 07:42 PM.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote